Saturday, September 10, 2016

Kaepernick and the National Anthem, a Vet's perspective

This post inspired by From a seat to a knee: How Colin Kaepernick and Nate Boyer are trying to effect change. If you haven't read it, please do so.

Nate Boyer is the man. If he's convinced by his chat with Kaepernick, then I'm encouraged.

Kap's protest filled me with rage in the disrespect for our military and country. Once I cooled off a bit, I could see reason. I still don't like how he did it. I don't agree with him for the most part.

What we DO need is to stop this division of us vs them. It's not cops vs blacks, left vs right. WE'RE ALL AMERICANS, GODDAMMIT. Fucking act like it. I'm guilty of being a dick too. Sometimes I mean to be. Sometimes I shouldn't be.

I think certain movements in this country need to focus on ACTUAL injustice instead of upholding criminals who died as heroes. That's my problem with that movement.

There ARE bad cops. There aren't as many of them as you say there are. But there are a few, and there are also some that have made mistakes. Know the difference.

There's ALSO cops whose lives have been ruined simply for defending themselves (Darren Wilson, for example). Unarmed doesn't mean not a threat.

John Crawford III is name name you ALL need to know, if you want to fight injustice... But I haven't heard one peep about him from certain organisations.

Refine your message and stop fucking rioting and looting. Pick your battles, and MAYBE you'll convince people that you actually want to do good, instead of pissing them off.

Work together, not against each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment